A blog about my pets, and how they influence my writing…
Now, first of all let me introduce you to them. From left to right, here’s Amber, Jade and Poppy. I could bore you all day with anecdotes about the sweet, funny, and strange things they get up to as individuals, pairs and and a group.
For example, Poppy makes a mess while drinking. Then Jade drinks the splashed water off the floor. And Amber doesn’t like to eat meat much, she prefers fruit and vegetables, which she’ll steal from your plate if you’re not careful.
Anyway, I’m an animal lover, obviously. I didn’t get three pets by accident, I sought them out and adopted them with almost as much passion as some women want babies (of the human kind). But how do they influence my writing, you might ask?
Well, Jade is my constant companion. So while I write she sits either beside me, or on my lap, or by my feet. She is pretty chatty and rather demanding so frequently wants a fuss while I’m trying to transfer ideas from my brain to my fingers to the screen. She quite often interupts my train of thought, resulting in either the loss of, or the birth of, a new idea while I pause to give her attention.
Then, along comes Amber. She’s not as demanding 90% of the time, but the other 10%, she will pester you until you drop everything and confirm that she is indeed centre of the universe. She taps my arm, walks on the keyboard, stares at the screen, nudges the screen with her chin… again, providing interruption which often leads to flashes of new inspiration or a different train of ideas.
As for Poppy, the cutest golden retriever ever, she is the most friendly, loyal, forgiving, happy little creature I’ve ever known. She picks me up when I’m down (and I never write if I feel down, anyway) and it’s when I’m out walking with her that I really get inspired and think of a lot of my ideas and plots, etc.
PS: if you read Izzy’s Cold Feet, you’ll find two characters are named after my cats!